This is a recipe adaptation from the cookbook Rebar by Audrey
Alsterburg and Wanda Urbanowicz, which is a cookbook from a lo
lovely restaurant called Rebar in Victoria, British Colombia. These
little protein packed balls of goodness are perfect snacks or even
great for breakfast too because they are nutrient dense & are
bound to give you a burst of energy! Vegan, gluten free, and
delicious…what more could you ask for really? I made these for
the Kennebunk Health Fair this past April, and a number of people
asked for the recipe so here it is.
Yields: About 15 spheres
3/4 cup dried apricots
3/4 cup dried apples
4 brown rice cakes
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup agave syrup (or a fruit sweetener of choice)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter, slightly warmed
1. In a food processor, pulse the apricots, apples, and rice cake into a fine texture. Transfer to
a large bowl and set aside.
2. Next pulse the coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and oats to roughly combine. Add
to the fruit mixture alone with the agave and peanut butter.
3. Mix everything together until well combined. Cover and chill for at least one hour.
4. Roll the dough into balls that are about 2 oz. Roll balls in toasted sesame seeds to coat.
5. Serve or store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two weeks…if they ever last that long.