This stew is super quick to prepare and can be very versatile. Substitute any preferred vegetables if you choose! This is an adaptation from a recipe in Student’s Go Vegan Cookbook.
8 ounces tempeh, cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 finely chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
2 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
½ cup green peas
1 cup red cabbage, chopped
1 cup water
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
Salt and ground black pepper
½ bunch kale, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet and add the tempeh until brown on all sides. Cook for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer to plate.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil, add onion and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and turmeric, and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, peas, water, crushed tomatoes, soy sauce, red cabbage, and cooked tempeh.
- Cover and cook on modicum heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Uncover and reduce heat to low. Add the coconut mil, kale, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
Serve over quinoa or rice to make it a delicious meal!