Potato latkes are delicious. Potato beet latkes are delicious AND pretty! This is new take on one of my favorite brunch foods that adds a sweet flavor and magnificent color.
4 large yukon gold potatoes
2 medium beets
1 medium yellow onion
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoon flour
salt & pepper
2/3-2/4 cup canola/safflower oil
- Peel potatoes and beets and cut into chunks or thick slices.
- Cut up onion.
- Grate potatoes, onion, and beets using a food processor with the coarse shredder blade. (You can also grate everything by hand if you don’t have a food processor, but it is a lot more time consuming.)
- Shred 1/3 of the mixture at a time if your food processor fills up.
- Transfer to a towel and squeeze the liquid out.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add eggs, flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Mix to combine.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large frying pan
- Form 2-3 patties and drop in the pan and flatten with spatula.
- Cook until crisp and brown on each side--about 3 minutes on each side.
Turn on the oven to a low temperature and place a cookie sheet in the oven so you can put the cooked latkes in the oven while cooking the rest so they are all warm and crisp when you serve them.
*Serve with sour cream and applesauce.