Miso Noodle Bowl with Stir-fried Veggies and Tempeh
Yet another versatile recipe! I concocted this with what I happened to have in the fridge. Feel free to add vegetables of your choice and use more or less depending on how many people you are trying to feed. But keep in mind, leftovers are always good, which makes for another easy meal!
Miso or instant miso (add hot water to miso powder and voila--delicious miso broth!)
8 oz. Rice noodles, soba noodles, udon noodles....or any noodle of your choice
8 oz Tempeh (or tofu), sliced or cubed
Toasted sesame oil
Tamari (soy sauce or Shoyu)
Shiitake mushrooms (3.5 oz), sliced
2-3 carrots, sliced (mix it up and try rainbow carrots if in season--they add great color to the dish)
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 small yellow onion, minced
1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp fresh turmeric, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch kale
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and turmeric and sauté for a couple minutes on medium heat.
- Add the carrots, peppers, mushrooms, frozen corn and sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until the veggies are getting tender.
- While the veggies are sautéing, boil water in a medium sized pot and cook the noodles according to the directions. When the noodles are done, drain and run under cold water to prevent them from sticking together.
- In another small pan, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat and place the sliced tempeh in the pan. Sprinkle with Tamari and cook for a couple minutes on each side, until browned. Set aside when done.
- Lastly add the kale to the veggies and sprinkle Tamari (use sparingly because it is salty) over the veggies. Cover the pan and cook for a couple more minutes, until the kale has shrunk down and is tender. Add the cooked tempeh slices and stir well so the Tamari can coat everything.
- In the meantime, boil water so you can make the miso broth. In a large measuring cup or bowl, add the miso and boiling water. The amount will vary depending on how much broth you are trying to make.
- To assemble put a serving of noodles in each bowl and drizzle toasted sesame oil over the noodles. Add a generous helping of the veggie and tempeh stir-fry and pour about a cup of miso broth over the top.