Easiest Crusty Bread Ever
Who knew baking bread could be this easy? Few ingredients, no kneading...very little mixing, but mostly just sitting and voila! Warm, crusty bread to enjoy for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour cause that’s what I had and still worked quite well)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 cups water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.
- Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 12 hours or up to overnight. I accidentally left it out for two nights and it still worked great!
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for about 30 minutes. I’ve also used a glass baking pan and covered the bread with tin foil, which also worked just as well!
- Put dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside while the pot is heating.
- Remove hot pot from the oven, take off the plastic wrap and drop in the dough ball. Cover pot and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove lid after 30 minutes and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.