This creamy soup is the perfect soup to be made on a cold winter day. It can also be made vegan if you leave out the cheese and sour cream or use a vegan substitute of your choice.
1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced small
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried parsley (rosemary, thyme, or dill--you choose your favorite!)
several pinches of freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1/2 pound parsnips, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 bunch chopped broccoli (or about 5 cups) the stalks sliced thinly and the head chopped into small pieces
4 cups vegetable broth (or 2 bouillon cubes mixed with 4 cups boiling water)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (cow’s milk or your favorite choice of unsweetened milk, such as soy milk is also fine)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic, parsley, pepper and salt, and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, potatoes, and parsnips. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Add the almond milk and heat through. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup as much as you choose--can be nice to leave a few chunks of broccoli. If you want to puree the soup even more you can also put half the soup into the blender.
- Put soup back on stove and stir in the cheddar cheese and sour cream until melted into the soup.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste.