Banana Oat Date Chocolate Chip Cookies...Oh My
By the sound of this name you wouldn’t believe that these cookies are incredibly healthy and completely sugar-free if you exclude the chocolate chips! I added the chocolate chips because I love chocolate, but it is whatever you like. This is a recipe from Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.
3 large ripe bananas
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond butter (the original recipe called for coconut butter, non-dairy butter or any nut butter, such as almond butter or peanut butter).
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
6-7 large dates, chopped ~1/4 cup
1/2 cup nondairy semisweet chocolate chips *optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two baking sheets with oil or line with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a large bowl. mash the bananas until smooth.
- Add the vanilla, almond butter, oats, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder and mix with your hands until fully combined.
- Fold in the chopped dates and chocolate chips if you are using.
- Drop dollops of the dough, each about 1 tablespoon in size, 1 inch apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Press down slightly to flatten as they won’t spread very much while baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom.
Yield: ~16-20 (yield really depends on how little or big you make your cookies, which is truly up to you...and depends how many people you are trying to feed with this delicious treat!)